New to cloth nappies? Start here!
Newborns must use nappies where the fabric wraps around their bums and hips - flats and/or Dawn patrol fitted style nappies plus the Superwrap cover. Avoid nappies that have only an absorbent inner like a AIO or pocket style. This style struggles to cope for this stage.
Three/four months onwards
It is just an extra couple of loads a week. It is not heavy going. Cloth uses a third of the amount of water used to manufacture disposables. You will find a rhythm as you do with everything in life. It just becomes your way of life.
How to wash page here.
Get a wash bag to wash your covers in. This prolongs their life.
How many nappies do I need?
Full time (wash every two days):
30 - 36 nappies.
8 - 10 covers for a single child.
48 nappies, 16 covers (wash every day). See this post.
Part time (use in conjunction with disposable nappies):
10 - 18 nappies.
6 - 8 covers.
Twins (wash every day)
A summary of what you need
1. Your set of cloth nappies, boosters and covers (see newborn or after newborn nappy collections on the shop).
2. Fleece liners. Liners keep the bum dry and catch solids.
3. A wetbag for outings.
4. A laundry mesh bag to wash your covers in.
5. Kiki vest extenders (usually a part of the set).
6. A plastic wash basket (see storing page) that has holes.
7. Wipey cloth wipes to clean baby.
We offer full support via email or Whatsapp to not only help you with what to get but ALSO when your baby arrives, to make sure you get going. Your success is our priority!
Are you expecting or have a newborn? Go to the newborn cloth page to find out what you need.
Shop our newborn cloth nappy sets.
Do you have a 3/4 month old plus baby, go to the after newborn page.
Shop after newborn cloth nappy sets.