Hemp is a sensitive fabric and care does need to be taken when washing and drying.
- Do not prep your Pokkelokkie flats. Just start using them.
- Cold wash hemp. Do a 30`c wash once a week.
- Colours have been known to run if you hot wash. Please wash separately with dark colours COLD for the first 2-3 washes (add some towels and clothes to fill it up). If bleeding occurs don`t stress- it DOES wash out.
- Hemp flats do not remain a perfect square. See how to work with the shape change here.
- Do not prep.
- Cold or warm wash (30`C).
Breastfed babies: poop is water soluble and can go straight into the washing machine. The yellow "stains" can be rubbed with sunlight bar or boerseep and nappies hung in the sun - the sun gets rid of "stains".
Formula fed babies: rinse the nappy before adding to the machine.
Once baby is eating solids, poop must be discarded into the toilet before washing. Use a fleece liner as poop falls off the liner much easier than the cloth. Hold it over the loo and shake or get a bidet sprayer- affordable and is life changing. Simply spray poop off into the loo.
How to clean a poop nappy without a diaper sprayer (4 months +) :
- Rinse the nappies on a pre rinse cycle. Cold water. No detergent. Or hand rinse in bath water.
- Machine MUST BE ¾ full. Add a towel to an emptier load.
- Add the recommended amount of detergent.
- Run the main/cotton/fuzzy cycle (must be the longest cycle) on cold (max 30`c for hemp).
- No softener. EVER!
- Note on NIGHT nappies- rinse IMMEDIATLY off the bum in hot water well. Then store until wash day.
A bucket and plunger works brilliantly(makes for strong arms too):
- Add your nappies to the bucket filled with cold (grey)water. Plunge 40 – 50 times.
- Fill bucket with warm (grey) water.
- Add detergent and plunge about 90 – 100 times.
- Refill the bucket with cold (grey) water and plunge another 50 odd times to get rid of the soap.
- Drain, squeeze out the water and line dry.
- Wash covers separately until clean then dry.
- Hang nappies in the sun to get rid of stains.
- Use a bit of sunlight green bar or boerseep (soap made from animal fat that is amazing) to get rid of "stains".
- Wash COLD. NO hot machine washing.
- Hand washing is recommended for day to day washing.
- Air dry one on the window. Rotate 3 - 4 a day.
- Avoid direct sun drying with the inside facing the sun.
- Do not soak in water, as this can reduce the life of the elastics.
- Wash either with nappies or clothes inside a pillow case to prevent unwanted fluff catching.
- Wash cold (NO heat).
- Wash in a pillow case/mesh bag to preserve the fold over elastic.
- Close the velcro tabs.