1. What nappies and covers?
- Flats (+ boosters) and day fitteds and PUL covers (fleece covers can be used at home) for day time.
- Hemp prefolds and/or hemp fitteds and fleece covers for night time (flats can also be used for nights).
Hemp or cotton fleece?
- Hemp is recommended for night. It’s absorbency is superior and ensures a leak free nappy.
- Cotton fleece is slightly thicker than hemp but this does not matter- it makes a lovely nappy.
2. Best size flats to buy?
- From 6kg large (70 x 70cm) flats are suitable.
- Medium (60 x 60cm) fit beautifully from 5 - 10kg.
3. How many do I need ?
- 26 - 28 nappies and 8 - 10 covers to wash every 2 days
- 15 - 18 nappies and 6 - 8 covers to wash every day.
- Boosters: We recommend using boosters if the nappy is very wet after 2 hours of wear.1 booster per nappy when using flats. Boosters provide extra layers within a nappy to allow for a long wearing time and prevents the wetzone from getting too saturated.
- 3 – 4 of those must be night nappies (Hemp prefolds or hemp fitteds, see below). Night nappies take a bit longer to dry. This is important to keep in mind in colder winters.
4. How often do I change a cloth nappy ?
- Day time - every 3 - 3.5(max) hours. Poop nappy change immediately.
- Night time - one night nappy will suffice the 10 – 12 hour stretch if baby has stopped pooping at night.
5. Daytime solution options:
- 1 flat (some babies need 1- 2 boosters) + a waterproof cover.
- Dawn Patrol fitted + a waterproof cover.
- Fleece liners for day are needed once baby starts solids. They catch more solid poop very well. Makes clean up MUCH easier.
- Watch our videos on flats and prefolds.
6. Night time solution options:
Use hemp for nights. It`s super thirsty and holds.
- A Sleepy dust hemp fitted + cover/longies (fleece) OR
- A hemp prefold + 2 hemp boosters + fleece liner + cover/longies (fleece) OR
- 2 hemp flats folded as one in origami fold + fleece liner + cover/longies (fleece)
- See our night folding video for the flat combos above.
- A fleece liner for nights is a MUST. It keeps baby dry and prevents nappy rash which can be caused by wet cloth. See pic below.
7. What covers are best?
Winter: Waterproof covers for day under clothes. Fleece longies for night.
Summer: Fleece shorties OR waterproof covers for day and home play. Waterproof covers for outings. Fleece shorties for night (see below).
A note on fleece: Fleece is water resistant and pushes moisture back into the nappy making an effective water resistant layer between nappy and clothes. If the nappy beneath is not absorbent enough, moisture can be pulled through resulting in damp clothes. If dampness occurs- add a booster to the nappy. Avoid closing bay grows tightly over fleece covers.
8. Washing poop
- Solid poop must be discarded in the toilet.
- Watch our cleaning videos.
- Are not flushable- ever. Please don’t flush them.
- Can be messy as they can get lost in sticky poop.
- Use fleece liners- they are washed and reusable.
9. Reusable cloth wipes
- Very effective and make clean up easy and quick.
- Get about 20 – 30. They last until potty training.
- Store bought wet wipes contain chemicals, often cause horrible rashes and you need "100" to clean a poop.